Mandarin, Date & Ginger Cake
With Franklin & Sons Mandarin Mixer with Ginger by @healthy_twists
Preparation time – 20 minutes
Cook time – 40 to 45 minutes
150ml unsweetened almond milk
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
150g butter (vegan or non-vegan)
125g dark brown soft sugar
100g dark treacle
100g golden syrup
2 tbsp grated fresh ginger
2tsp ground ginger
1tsp ground cinnamon
80g pitted dates, chopped
30g candied ginger, finely sliced
Zest of 1 mandarin
100ml Franklin & Sons Mandarin Mixer with Ginger
300g plain flour, sifted (can use gluten free)
½ tsp xanthan gum powder (if using gluten free flour)
½ tsp baking powder
1 mandarin, thinly sliced (to include the zested mandarin)
4 pieces of candied ginger, finely sliced
1.Turn the oven on to 160°C fan.
2. Line the base of a 20cm spring base cake tin and grease the sides and line those too.
3. Pour the unsweetened almond milk and apple cider vinegar into a jug, stir and set to one side for 10 minutes until it curdles.
4. In a large pan, add the butter, sugar, syrups, grated fresh ginger, ground ginger, ground cinnamon and finely chopped dates. Melt the ingredients together over a low to medium heat, stirring occasionally until combined. The dates will become soft. Add the finely sliced crystalized ginger, the zest of a mandarin and stir. Take the pan off the heat.
5. Pour the unsweetened almond milk and apple cider vinegar mix and the Franklin & Sons Mandarin Mixer with Ginger into the pan and stir together.
6. Sift the flour, baking powder and xanthan gum into the pan with the melted ingredients and using a balloon whisk, combine together until all the lumps have been removed (except for the dates). The cake mix should be smooth and runny.
7. Pour the cake mix into the lined cake tin and place on the middle shelf of the oven and bake for 40 to 45 minutes until the cake has risen and feels firm to a light touch.
8. Remove the mandarin, date and ginger cake from the oven and place on a cooling rack. Leave to cool fully before removing from the cake tin.
9. Turn the oven down to 100°C (fan). Cover a baking tray with baking paper. Thinly slice the mandarins (using one used for zest) and spread them out across the baking tray. Place on the middle shelf of the oven and slowly bake for 2 hours.
10. Once the cake is cool, remove from the tin and arrange the mandarin slices on the top and scatter over the candied ginger slices.
11. Serve with a glass of Franklin & Sons Mandarin Mixer with Ginger paired with your favourite spirit.
For more delicious recipes, follow us on social media @franklinandsons.